Principles Course Sessions Speaker:
Chief Technical Officer & Principal
Mr. McWilliams has over 20 years’ experience in railway technology implementation & business ventures across six continents.
Mr. McWilliams started his professional career working for the Association of American Railroads (AAR) as a Mechanical Engineer evaluating railway infrastructure and working on track related projects ranging from special track-work optimization to bridge approach and sub-grade analysis.
Continuing his career as Senior Engineer for the Transportation Technology Center, Inc. (TTCI) in Pueblo, Colorado, Ryan’s’ work included many research & test programs such as; dynamic modelling of high speed passenger vehicles, performance monitoring hardware & software development, static & dynamic testing of freight & passenger vehicles, as well as project management of multiple industry programs.
As Vice President of Technology & Business Development for Salient Systems Inc. (a division of LB Foster & formerly Portec Rail Products Inc). Mr McWilliams provided both engineering & business development guidance for Salient & the LB Foster family of subsidiaries. The portfolio of wayside detection devices, concrete ties, insulated joints, and friction management products have kept Mr McWilliams engaged in leadership roles & technical project support around the globe.
Currently, as Chief Technical Officer & Principal of International Engineering, Mr McWilliams provides Technology & Business Development Services to the global railway industry. Competencies include new market entry, wheel/rail interaction, performance monitoring devices, and best-in-class technology solutions. He has also founded RailAdvisor.com & is a Contributing Editor for Railway Age, IRJ, and RT&S.
- Vice President of Salient Systems – Provided engineering & business direction for various LB Foster programs on 6 continents. This included RailStress programs, Wheel Impact Load Detectors, Hunting Truck Detectors, Insulated Rail Joints, Concrete Ties, & Tribometer/Friction Management programs.
- International Manager of Business Development for TTCI – Spent extensive time in Australia & the United Kingdom identifying & promoting significant company growth opportunities.
- Program Manager & Senior Engineer for TTCI – Developed & commercialized TTCI’s wayside monitoring device (TPD) &
- technical database. Performed dynamic modelling of the Acela High Speed Train-Set for service on Amtrak’s North East Corridor.
- Mechanical Engineer / Project Manager for the Association of American Railroads (AAR) Heavy Axle Load Research Program – Provided engineering expertise & analysis for Class 1 infrastructure programs as well as track component testing & evaluation in North America.